Scope of work
• Inspect food preparation and serving areas to ensure observance of safe, sanitary food-handling practices.
• Season and cook food according to recipes or personal judgment and experience.
• Observe and test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
• Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
• Portion, arrange, and garnish food, and serve food to clients.
• Regulate temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters.
• Bake, roast, broil, and steam meats, fish, vegetables, and other foods.
• Maintain good record on “Bean card system” or FIFO system.
• Coordinate and supervise work of kitchen staff
• Estimate expected food consumption; then requisition or purchase supplies, or procure food from storage
• Substitute for or assist other cooks during emergencies or rush periods.
• Consult with supervisory staff to plan menus, taking into consideration factors such as costs and special event needs
• Good interpersonal and oral communication skills
• Hospitality skill while servicing food
• Carve and trim meats such as beef, veal, and lamb for hot or cold service, or for sandwiches
• Wash, peel, cut, and seed fruits and vegetables to prepare them for consumption
• Butcher and dress animals, fowl, or shellfish, or cut and bone meat prior to cooking.